Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems (The Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering) – 4th Edition ( 2009 )
An ideal first text on communication systems in electrical engineering, Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems is now in its fourth edition. Retaining the superb pedagogical style of the first three editions, the authors first introduce the fundamentals of signals and systems and core communication topics; they then present the tools essential to the design and analysis of digital communications. Featuring a seamless blend of mathematics and heuristics, carefully crafted examples to clarify mathematical abstractions, and new and updated MATLAB exercises, this text provides a thorough coverage of modern communication system theory and application that is easily accessible to students.
Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems is suitable for students with or without prior knowledge of probability theory. Only after laying a solid foundation in how communication systems work do the authors delve into analyses of communication systems that require probability theory and random processes. Revised, expanded, and updated throughout, the fourth edition reflects the many technological advances in the field, such as OFDM and CDMA, pervasive communication applications such as cellular systems, wireless LAN systems, and DSL modem technology services.
* New discussion of technological advances and applications
* New chapters (12 and 13) on spread spectrum communications and frequency selective channels and OFDM systems
* New and updated MATLAB examples
* New material on such topics as code division multiple-access (CDMA), orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM), equalization, soft decoding, turbo codes, and low-density parity check (LDPC) codes
* Flexible organization (outlined in the preface) that accommodates a variety of course structures, including one-semester, two-semester, one-quarter, and two-quarter
* Accessible to students with no background in probability theory
* Abundant real-world examples that are applicable to students' everyday lives
* Gives intuitive insights–rather than just proofs–wherever possible, as well as heuristic explanations of theoretical results